WeMo light switches have become increasingly popular smart home devices that allow for wireless control of lights through a simple tap on your phone.
These convenient switches connect to your home WiFi network to enable both remote and schedule-based control of any lights in your home without needing a hub or subscription.
However, as with any connected device, periodic resets can become necessary to restore optimal connectivity and functionality.
In this guide, we’ll provide an overview of the different reasons you may need to reset these useful smart switches together with clear, step-by-step instructions to walk you through how to easily reset them.
Why Reset Your WeMo Light Switch?
There are a few common scenarios that may require resetting your WeMo light switch to restore full functionality. Here are the most common ones:
Device not detected by WeMo app
If you open up the WeMo app and see that your switch is no longer detected or it shows as “Unavailable,” a reset can often resolve device connection problems.
Check to see if your phone’s WiFi is working properly; if it is, restart both the app and the light switch first. If that doesn’t bring the device status back to Connected, a reset is the next step.
Unresponsive to app and manual controls
You may notice that manual power cycling becomes ineffective if your WeMo switch becomes entirely unresponsive to any controls through both the WeMo app as well as the hardware switch itself.
When this happens, it most likely means that your device is frozen and needs a reboot via a reset.
Blinking orange after firmware update
Are you seeing a blinking orange indicator light on your WeMo switch after a firmware update? If yes, then resets can enable the update process to fully complete to stop the bothersome blinking light.
Perform a restart first before moving to a full factory reset if possible to avoid losing your personalized configuration.
Changed Wi-Fi Settings or Router
Two of the most common triggers for needing a WeMo reset are changing your Wi-Fi router or WiFi network settings (such as the password).
Resets wipe the existing network connection details clean, allowing you to connect the switch to the new network from scratch without the headaches of linking devices cross-network.
Finally, you can opt to perform resets solely for erasing any stored app data or settings configured for your switch, letting you bring the device back to a clean slate very much like when it came brand new from the factory.
How To Restart WeMo Light Switch
Before factory resetting your WeMo light switch and having to fully reconfigure it, oftentimes, a simple restart can help you solve minor connectivity problems.
Restarting is also a great first attempt since it won’t erase any of your customized WiFi or app settings.
Follow these straightforward steps to restart your switch:
- Locate the Power Restart button on your WeMo light switch hardware. It is typically labeled as “Power Restart” or something similar. You’ll find it as a separate button from the “Reset” button, usually placed right beside it.
- Firmly press the Restart button for 1 second. You’ll see the indicator light on the switch blink green, confirming the restart is in process.
- Wait up to a minute for the restart to complete. The light will stop blinking once it’s done.
If your WeMo switch is unresponsive and you can’t get the Restart button to work, don’t worry. You can force a reboot by cutting power to the device via your circuit breaker. To do that, follow these steps:
- Locate the breaker supplying power to your WeMo switch.
- Flip the circuit breaker OFF for 5-10 seconds before switching the breaker back ON.
- The WeMo device will restart once power returns.
Restarting the switch this way will again maintain all configured details like your WiFi network connection in most cases, making it a well-suited first attempt before resorting to a full factory reset.
How to Reset WeMo Light Switch via the App
The WeMo app provides a streamlined way to factory reset your WeMo light switch right from your smartphone. But before getting started, ensure:
- You have the latest version of the WeMo app
- You are currently logged into your WeMo account within the app
- Your phone is connected to the same WiFi network as your WeMo switch
After confirming all that, follow these steps:
- Open the WeMo app and tap the profile icon in the top corner, then select “Edit”.
- On the Devices screen, tap the light switch you wish to reset.
- Tap Reset Options.
A menu displays with reset types. Select from:
Clear Personalized Info: Clears any custom device names, control rules, and settings without removing the WiFi connection details.
Change Wi-Fi: This factory reset removes the existing WiFi connection information. You’ll have to connect the switch to your home network again during setup post-reset.
Factory Restore: The nuclear option. Completely erases all of the device’s data, settings, and WiFi network details. It will be in a blank state equivalent to new out-of-the-box. This also removes and unlinks it from your WeMo account.
- Confirm your desired reset type when prompted.
Quick Tip: Resetting the WeMo switch via your WeMo app will wipe all configurations and previous settings, returning it to the initial out-of-box state. You will have to repeat the process of connecting it to your WiFi and WeMo account from scratch again.
How To Reset WeMo Light Switch Manually
You can factory reset your WeMo smart switch right on the device itself without needing the WeMo app. Here are the steps:
First, closely examine your actual WeMo light switch housed in the wall plate and locate the reset button. It is typically labeled either “WiFi Reset” or “Factory Reset”.
Check your device’s user guide if you have any trouble finding it or identifying it from the “Restart” button.
Once located, do the following:
- Press the restart button for approximately 1 second until you see the indicator light blink green. This reboots your switch device initially.
- Immediately press and hold down the reset button continuously for 5 full seconds. You’ll see the indicator light start blinking orange rapidly rather than green once the 5-second threshold is reached.
- Release your finger from the reset button once the rapid orange blinking light behavior begins. This confirms the factory reset is now underway.
Give your WeMo switch about 1-2 minutes to complete the full factory reset procedure after releasing the button. The reset returns the device completely to factory default settings, including deleting your WiFi network connection details.
When the reset finishes, the Wi-Fi indicator light will blink alternating green and orange to indicate it is in setup mode ready to be connected to your network again from scratch.
You’ll then have to set up the newly reset device using the WeMo app as if brand new before using it again.
Resetting WeMo Models WLS0403 and WLS040
The procedures for resetting the WeMo WiFi Smart 3-Way Light Switch (WLS0403) and WeMo Light Switch (WLS040) involve accessing a special external bar housed under the front plate.
To find the reset bar:
- Remove the outer WeMo light switch faceplate covering your wall switch to expose the internal hardware.
- Look underneath the Wemo branding on the switch for a solid white bar. This multifunction reset bar gives restart, reset WiFi, and full factory restore options.
Press and hold the bar for different lengths of time to:
Restart: Hold the bar for 2 seconds until the ring light turns solid white
Reset WiFi: Hold the bar until the ring light turns blue
Factory Restore: Hold the bar until the ring light turns red
It’s crucial to follow the proper timing mapped to the visual light feedback. If you accidentally hold too long and factory reset when intending to only restart, you’ll have to reconfigure the WiFi and WeMo app linkage again.
Alternatively, you can also reset these specific WeMo models through the WeMo app itself similar to other WeMo switch variants. Just connect to the device within the app and choose from options to restart/reboot, reset the WiFi while retaining app data, or factory reset the unit entirely.
The good thing is, resetting via the app does not expose you to accidental long holds for factory reset like the manual bar.
How to Reset WeMo Light Switch V1
Before you reset, try rebooting or restarting your light switch first. This restart can often resolve temporary glitches:
- Locate the small restart button on the bottom of the light switch.
- Press and hold the restart button for 1 second.
- Release the button. The light switch will restart, indicated by the blinking green light.
- Wait for the blinking to stop, indicating the restart is complete.
If this doesn’t fix your issue, you can move on to resetting the device.
Resetting the WeMo Light Switch V1
You’ll need a thin, pointed tool like a paperclip for this process. Here are the steps:
- Locate the reset button on the bottom of the light switch. It is to the left of the restart button.
- Use your pointed tool to press the restart button once.
- Next, press and hold the reset button for a few seconds.
- Release the reset button when the orange light begins blinking.
- Wait as the light switch cycles between orange and green blinking lights.
- Once the blinking stops, the reset is complete!
The reset returns the light switch to factory settings, which should resolve the problems you were having. You can now set up and use your Wemo Light Switch V1 like new!
How To Reset WeMo Light Switch V2
Before factory resetting, try rebooting your light switch. The steps for rebooting the V2 are the same as the V1; so you can follow the rebooting steps in V1.
But if that doesn’t work, then you’ll have to reset your device.
Resetting the Light Switch
You’ll need a small, pointed tool for pressing the tiny reset button:
- Locate the reset button on the underside of the light switch.
- Press and hold this button for at least 10 seconds using your pointed tool.
- Keep holding until the light switch blinks red.
- Release the button when you see the red blink.
- Wait for the light to start blinking blue, indicating the reset is in progress.
- Once the blue blinking stops, the reset is complete.
The factory reset will clear all settings and reset the light switch to its original default state. This should resolve any technical issues you’ve been having.
Troubleshooting Problems Resetting Your Switch
On occasion, you may run into difficulties when trying to reset your WeMo light switch. Here are some troubleshooting tips that can help:
Reset Button Not Responding
If pressing and holding the Reset button is not working to factory reset the device, first remove the switch from the wall to visually inspect it. Ensure there is no dust, debris, or obstacles that could be jamming the button.
Also, check closely for any apparent physical damage such as cracks or misshapen components surrounding the button. You may need to gently adjust the angle or amount of pressure applied to the button itself when pressed.
Closely check for damaged hardware if the reset button still refuses to engage as expected. Discoloration, cracks, or chips could indicate defects with the physical device.
If notice or find those physical defects on your device, it is best to replace the likely faulty unit altogether under warranty rather than attempting further DIY repairs.
Contact WeMo Support
If all else fails in your do-it-yourself troubleshooting process to get the WeMo light switch reset, initiating a support ticket with the device maker Wemo directly is the best next course of action.
When you contact their technical support staff, make sure to clearly provide all details on the specific troubleshooting steps attempted up to that point.
Once you are able to do that, the support staff can then evaluate and determine if there are any further unique solutions not stated in standard user documentation that could apply in your case before resorting to replacement.
While WeMo smart light switches provide incredible home automation convenience, resetting them periodically serves an important maintenance purpose.
Resets clear up common issues with lost connectivity, unresponsiveness glitches, or problems stemming from Wi-Fi network changes.
Key reset procedures involve accessing reset options through the WeMo app as well as initiating manual resets using the hardware buttons on the devices themselves for a full power cycle reboot.
Strictly following proper timings mapped to indicator light colors is important, especially for models with multifunction reset bars.
Why Is My Wemo Light Switch Not Detected?
Your WeMo light switch may not be detected due to a variety of reasons such as connectivity issues, firmware update problems, or changes in Wi-Fi settings. To troubleshoot, try restarting the switch or resetting it via the app or manually. If the problem persists, contact WeMo support for further assistance.
Why Is My WeMo Light Switch Blinking Red?
If your WeMo light switch is blinking red, it may indicate that a factory reset is in progress. This could be due to issues with the firmware update or connectivity. To troubleshoot, you can try performing a reset via the app or manually. If the issue persists, consider contacting WeMo support for further assistance.
Why Is My WeMo Light Switch Blinking Orange?
If your WeMo light switch is blinking orange, it could be due to a firmware update. Performing a restart may help complete the update process. If the issue persists, a reset might be necessary to restore optimal functionality.